For PC users unwilling to use Pro Tools or Adobe Audition, you may want to try the recently updated version of Reaper. Designed by Cockos Inc., Reaper is a DAW which features a 64 bit audio engine, VST plugin & MIDI support, and can be run from a USB key or other removable media. Considering the robust features and low cost of $50 for a non-commercial license, this could be an option worth considering.
- Powerful routing of audio-functions as an entire virtual studio with patchbays.
- Integrated network FX processing (use spare machines for additional processing power)
- Supports reading/writing most media formats on the fly, including WAV, AIFF, OGG, FLAC, Monkey’s Audio (APE), WavPack, and more!
- Editing features (auto-crossfades, ripple editing, arbitrary item grouping)
- Multitude of built-in FX, user editable FX, support for third party plug-ins
- Support for MIDI sending/receiving to ReWire devices
- 64 bit audio engine
- Excellent low-latency performance
- Stunning multiprocessor performance
- Supports a wide range of hardware (nearly any audio interface, outboard hardware, many control surfaces)
- ReaPlugs: high quality 64 bit effect suite
See Cockos’ website for more info.